Wednesday, January 13, 2016

9th Circuit Court Says Stolen Valor is Free Speech

Trigger Warning:
Incoming Internet rage...
Previous Post:  A.F. Branco - The Interview

I consider myself to be a fairly calm, reasonable person in that it takes a lot for me to get my blood pressure up about anything at all.

The 9th Circuit Court of Appeals should consider themselves proud, then.  They have successfully managed to get my blood boiling with their latest ruling about stolen valor:
A military veteran persuaded a federal appeals court Monday to overturn his conviction for wearing a medal he didn’t earn.

An 11-judge panel of the U.S. 9th Circuit Court of Appeals said a portion of a federal law that made it a crime to wear an unearned military medal violated freedom of speech rights.

The panel found that wearing a medal conveys a message, which is protected by the 1st Amendment.
I'm going to assume that everyone reading knows just what stolen valor is, because you're all intelligent people.  Unless you're a liberal.  Then you're probably thinking "HURR, SILLY CONSERVATIVES, YOU CAN'T STEAL AN INANIMATE OBJECT!!!"

There's nothing out there that pisses me off more than stolen valor and the cunts that engage in that practice.  That's right, I called people who steal the valor rightfully due the men and women that serve (or have served) cunts.  Yes, I know that's extremely disrespectful.  Yes, I know "cunt" is an ugly word that people hate.  I don't care.  I have zero respect for anyone who would pretend to be a member of the military, or pretend they won a military honor when they actually didn't.  You people who engage in stolen valor are the lowest form of attention whore there is.  I would rank libtard Internet trolls as slightly more deserving of respect.

The ruling came in the case of one Elven Joe Swisher, a former Marine who served in the Korean War.  Swisher had worn a Purple Heart while testifying in another unrelated criminal case.  He was convicted under the Stolen Valor Act in 2007 after it came to light that he never actually been wounded.

What makes this case even more galling is the fact that this man is a military veteran himself!  Swisher should have absolutely known better.  This is a man who actually served, and knows what it takes to earn a Purple Heart.  He also knows that many people who earn a Purple Heart have made the ultimate sacrifice.  That he would wear one knowing that he had done nothing to earn it-and worse, to score points in someone else's trial-completely invalidates any honor he earned while serving.

Expect to see more on this at a later date.  I'm that freaking mad about it.

Share your thoughts and comments below.  Or follow me on Twitter @trigwarnblog, or check out my Facebook page.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disqus Shortname