A Random Little Disney Post

Trigger Warning:
The magic of Disney, fuckers...well not this guy...but, you know...
Full disclosure; this morning's post has absolutely nothing to do with politics.  I figured we could all use a bit of a break from the horror and the absolutely maddening liberal lunacy of the last few days.  Today's post is all about my favorite ride at Walt Disney World.  Or at least what used to be my favorite ride.  

You see when I was a kid my family would make a yearly trip to Disney World.  We'd spend a few weeks down in Florida, mainly because we had family that lived down there.  We'd end up hitting all four parks, usually staying from open to close.  My favorite park, however was Epcot, and my favorite ride in that park was this bad boy right here:
The video quality isn't great, but that's the old school Journey into Imagination ride at Epcot.  The main characters, Dreamfinder and Figment, took riders on a journey through their imaginations.  The whole point of the ride was showing people that literally anything can spark just a little bit of creativity.  That little spark can then spread into a massive flame that fires the imagination and allows you to create anything you want.  It was fun, it was awesome, and it of course featured Disney storytelling at its finest.

You can imagine my surprise and horror when I went on the same ride when I was an adult, and found it reduced to this:
Disney decided to shorten the hell out of the ride, and throw in an old Monty Python actor for good measure.  It still has Figment being awesome, but Dreamfinder is long gone.  Journey into Imagination still tells the story of imagination being set free, but it doesn't show what can be done with it.  Disney has kept that one little spark very small, rather than allowing it to be fanned into that massive flame of creativity.

Don't get me wrong, I still go on the ride, but it doesn't have any of its old charm.  Maybe I'm being overly nostalgic, but it seems a huge step down from the quality that we're used to seeing from Disney.

Anyway, what are your thoughts on this ride?  Did you enjoy the old version better, or are you partial to the newer one?  What's your favorite old Disney ride?

A little parting gift before you go:

Share your thoughts and comments below.  Or follow me on Twitter @trigwarnblog, or check out my Facebook page.

Comments

Popular Posts